Do It Yourself Guide, How to Install Manufactured Stone Veneer to a Wall
SUGGESTED GROUT MIX:
SUGGESTED GROUT MIX:
HELPFUL HINTS FOR INSTALLING MAN MADE STONE VENEER
PLEASE READ THESE TIPS BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
1. PLACING STONES: Starting at the top and working your way down, apply large stones first, covering a fairly large area before adding the small fill-in pieces of stone.
2. CUT STONES: When applying stones with cut edges, try to place the “cut” edge down when the stone is below eye level, and place the "cut" edge up when it is above eye level.
3. TIGHT JOINTS: Try to keep your stone close together on the wall surface. A wall with tight mortar joints normally looks more attractive and natural. (Small grout lines)
4. CONTRAST: This makes a good-looking stone job. Put large stones next to small ones, heavy textured stones next to smooth, thick stones next to thinner stones, darker stones next to lighter colored stones, etc.
5. NATURAL LOOKING: A good-looking stone wall is a natural looking stone wall. Always try to remember what an expensive natural stone wall looks like, and act accordingly.
6. COLORED MORTAR: Consider putting some concrete colorant in your mortar when grouting to achieve a closer color blend between mortar and stone.
7. MORTAR MIX: You can use either Pre-Mixed mortar or mix your own. If you mix your own, use regular Portland cement. If you use Pre-Mixed mortar, you may find that you need to add a little more cement for the mix to come out of the grout bag more easily. To check if proper amount of water was used, put some mortar in the bag. If it runs out too fast with no pressure being applied to the bag, it is too thin (add cement or sand). If it is difficult to get it to come out through the nozzle, it is too thick (add water).
8. LATHING (Wire): Over painted concrete block you should use 3/4" steel hardened concrete nails. Over exterior painted stucco, use 1-1/2" - 2” steel hardened concrete nails. If concrete surface, concrete block, stucco, or other stone or brick has not been painted or waterproofed, no wire is necessary.
9. SCRATCH COAT: Required when surface is rough, (lap wood siding, sheet metal, or painted masonry, etc.), or when wire is not flat... (improperly nailed). Also scratch coat can be used to fill in recessed foundations in wood framed exteriors.
CLEANLINESS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ANY OTHER RULE. SO KEEP HANDS CLEAN AND KEEP STONE CLEAN. ANY EXCESS MORTAR SHOULD BE “BRUSHED” OFF OF STONE SURFACES THE SAME DAY.
SOME LEGAL STUFF
Should you need molds or moulds, colorant, concrete sealer, stains, or other concrete, cement, or plaster supplies for your handyman or home improvement project, please visit our catalogue website at www.TheMoldStore.com or our shopping cart website at http://www.TheMoldStore.us to get ideas. If you are interested in starting a concrete stone and veneer, or concrete and cement paver, brick or tile business, please visit our Olde World Stone & Tile Business Opportunity website at www.Oldeworld.com for full details, instructions and various stone making and other concrete product making packages. We also offer D-I-Y Packages in our catalogue and on our shopping cart websites.
CLICK ON THE GREEN "LINK" BUTTONS TO GO TO THAT INFORMATION CATEGORY PAGE
Olde Castle Stone
NEED A BUILDING TO WORK OUT OF? HERE ARE PLANS.
NEED SOME LANDSCAPING IDEAS FROM A PROFESSIONAL?